It was an interesting site. I could see a relation to our other classes content, like "constructivism" coming into the picture. Technology is becoming interconnected to the educational concept of learning in school now.
Praise without reward is what i usually practice. But i have read that such an approach can yield a negative effect on a student's personal development. Made me wary to think about how we must be ever diligent to not falsely prop up otherwise fresh and fragile egos. its such a fine line to walk. So what I do then is model enthusiasm for whatever it is we are doing. And when it is time to praise, I try and make it a reflective thing which gives the student a chance to make their own inference; an inference based on a solid base of knowledge. But I agree that psychological rewards are the best kind. It seems that when kids have a thorough understanding of your expectations, they lose some anxiety and become relaxed enough to focus on the task. But I have to keep it interesting, and I have to encourage them to always take it to the next level. As for kinds of motivations, I think that one ought to instill in the student a positive vibe for what is happening in the classroom. so again it all comes back to me. If I am able to create an environment were learning is fun and safe from whatever violence the children may come from, then I am on the right track. In a sense, peace of mind is itself a reward.
These are really good strategies, this website will really come into hand when planning lessons or creating units. Or even adapting or differentiating lessons.
Motivation IS a really huge factor in the classroom. I agree that motivation must be intrinsic and although it's sometimes easier to reward or punish in the end, that's all it is a reward or punishment. We want students to feel things from the inside out.
I found this website very informational. Motivation is tricky when it comes to teaching students. Teaching them to appreciate the more intrinsic rewards is a big task in itself. I especially liked the part on Rimm's laws. All the information was pretty much what I had already researched, except that it was altogether on one website. I love the links to graphic organizers, learning styles, the tips on teaching in a differentiated classroom. I understand the concept of scaffolding and tiered teaching a bit more. Definitely on the my fav's., and I am recommending it to all teachers.
Wow! Lots of interesting ideas here. I can't wait to experiment/practice during spring practicum:)
ReplyDeleteIt was an interesting site. I could see a relation to our other classes content, like
ReplyDelete"constructivism" coming into the picture. Technology is becoming interconnected to the educational concept of learning in school now.
Muffet
Praise without reward is what i usually practice. But i have read that such an approach can yield a negative effect on a student's personal development. Made me wary to think about how we must be ever diligent to not falsely prop up otherwise fresh and fragile egos. its such a fine line to walk. So what I do then is model enthusiasm for whatever it is we are doing. And when it is time to praise, I try and make it a reflective thing which gives the student a chance to make their own inference; an inference based on a solid base of knowledge.
ReplyDeleteBut I agree that psychological rewards are the best kind. It seems that when kids have a thorough understanding of your expectations, they lose some anxiety and become relaxed enough to focus on the task. But I have to keep it interesting, and I have to encourage them to always take it to the next level.
As for kinds of motivations, I think that one ought to instill in the student a positive vibe for what is happening in the classroom. so again it all comes back to me. If I am able to create an environment were learning is fun and safe from whatever violence the children may come from, then I am on the right track. In a sense, peace of mind is itself a reward.
These are really good strategies, this website will really come into hand when planning lessons or creating units. Or even adapting or differentiating lessons.
ReplyDeleteMotivation IS a really huge factor in the classroom. I agree that motivation must be intrinsic and although it's sometimes easier to reward or punish in the end, that's all it is a reward or punishment. We want students to feel things from the inside out.
ReplyDeleteI found this website very informational. Motivation is tricky when it comes to teaching students. Teaching them to appreciate the more intrinsic rewards is a big task in itself. I especially liked the part on Rimm's laws. All the information was pretty much what I had already researched, except that it was altogether on one website. I love the links to graphic organizers, learning styles, the tips on teaching in a differentiated classroom. I understand the concept of scaffolding and tiered teaching a bit more. Definitely on the my fav's., and I am recommending it to all teachers.
ReplyDelete