I think that that this is an excellent website to help educate the younger students about the healing that is taking place right now, pertaining to the residential school generational effects. I could see myself taking my students to this website and working with them and getting them to do their own researching on the topic.
This website, perhaps in conjunction with a book such as No End to Grief, by Agnes Grant, is a powerful tool to expose some truths about Canada's dark past; of a time when children were stolen; and when communities were purposely destroyed by an aggressive political will to effect a cultural genocide against Canada's Aboriginal Peoples. I am very comfortable using the term "cultural genocide." It is recognized by the UN and even by Canadian law.
Another good source of information about the residential school era is from hiddenfromhistory.org. There you will find articles about the residential school era as being a time when church and government were the samething in Canada. For example, united church ministers had the authority from the government to conduct criminal court trials for First Nations offenders.
That last bit of information is a real sick offense to the rule of law, not to mention effective and impartial jurisprudence.
This is a wonderful resource. I could definitely see its uses in the classroom. It is awesome that it is as interactive site. The 3D tour with the notes on the side and haunting audio component is particularily emotional. You would have to be careful with the age of student that you explored parts of the website with. Excellent piece of truth however.
I don't know if this site would be appropriate for all ages. Perhaps for the older student, because of the contextal depiction of the history of aboriginal people. The site is worth regarding though.It depicts truths about what the government did to aboriginal people regardless of how or where they lived.
This is a good site for students wanting to learn more about the residential school era. Today students, the younger generation do not know about this, maybe just bit and pieces. This is a very good site for them to research on residential schools and get the truth. I was also sent to residential school when I was 16, it wasn't that bad but I was very lonely. My parents had really bad experiences when they were forced to go at a very young age. The stories my dad told me were very shocking and upsetting.
I ended up watching a 25 minute interview with Arthur...ever sad. I ended up crying with him. This would be a good website for people to understand what residental survivors went through.
I think that that this is an excellent website to help educate the younger students about the healing that is taking place right now, pertaining to the residential school generational effects. I could see myself taking my students to this website and working with them and getting them to do their own researching on the topic.
ReplyDeleteThis website, perhaps in conjunction with a book such as No End to Grief, by Agnes Grant, is a powerful tool to expose some truths about Canada's dark past; of a time when children were stolen; and when communities were purposely destroyed by an aggressive political will to effect a cultural genocide against Canada's Aboriginal Peoples. I am very comfortable using the term "cultural genocide." It is recognized by the UN and even by Canadian law.
ReplyDeleteAnother good source of information about the residential school era is from hiddenfromhistory.org. There you will find articles about the residential school era as being a time when church and government were the samething in Canada. For example, united church ministers had the authority from the government to conduct criminal court trials for First Nations offenders.
That last bit of information is a real sick offense to the rule of law, not to mention effective and impartial jurisprudence.
The site is even saluted by Noam Chomsky.
http://www.hiddenfromhistory.org/
This is a wonderful resource. I could definitely see its uses in the classroom. It is awesome that it is as interactive site. The 3D tour with the notes on the side and haunting audio component is particularily emotional. You would have to be careful with the age of student that you explored parts of the website with. Excellent piece of truth however.
ReplyDeleteI don't know if this site would be appropriate for all ages. Perhaps for the older student, because of the contextal depiction of the history of aboriginal people. The site is worth regarding though.It depicts truths about what the government did to aboriginal people regardless of how or where they lived.
ReplyDeleteThis is a good site for students wanting to learn more about the residential school era. Today students, the younger generation do not know about this, maybe just bit and pieces. This is a very good site for them to research on residential schools and get the truth. I was also sent to residential school when I was 16, it wasn't that bad but I was very lonely. My parents had really bad experiences when they were forced to go at a very young age. The stories my dad told me were very shocking and upsetting.
ReplyDeleteI ended up watching a 25 minute interview with Arthur...ever sad. I ended up crying with him.
ReplyDeleteThis would be a good website for people to understand what residental survivors went through.
Healing is a process and education can help ensure we don't repeat the mistakes of the past.
ReplyDelete